[b-greek] Question about development of Greek verbal system from Ancient/Koine Greek to modern Greek

From: Thomas Dachsel (thomas_dachsel@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 11:07:48 EST

Hi,

please excuse me if this is off-topic, but I cannot think of a
better suited mailing list to ask the following question (if
someone knows of a better suited mailing list please tell me
off-list and I will be happy to subscribe there and ask my question
there), and again excuse me if it is a beginner's question.

I have been reading in grammars of modern Greek that modern
Greek verbs have two stems, one for a punctual action, and
one for an ongoing action (e.g. for "to write", the stems are
"graph-" and "graps-", can't remember which is which right now).

My question is, I have been wondering out of which forms
from Ancient or Koine Greek did these two forms develop?

I have been reading the book of Mr. Geoffrey Horrocks
Greek: A History of the Language and Its Speakers
(they have some nice sample pages there)
but I have to admit for a beginner this is pretty heavy
stuff, I wouldn't even know where to look in this book
for an answer to my question, and I have to admit that
I have not been able to finish reading it yet :-/

So if any one of you have either read this book and
know whether the answer to my question is described
there, or know of some other book elaborating on this
question, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your efforts.

I really have been enjoying reading the messages
of this list for many years (and hope to do so
for many years to come :-))

Best regards,
Thomas Dachsel
(Thomas_Dachsel@yahoo.com)