[b-greek] Re: Frames & Topic in Jude 5-7

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 13:57:56 EST

on 11/24/01 3:02 AM, Warren Fulton wrote:

> So the "frames" introduced here are the Exodus, the Rebellion of the
> Angels, and Sodom & Gomorra. From these examples can I conclude that
> a frame is something like a literary or folk story element, what some
> literary critics and Bible commentators call a topos? Ernst Robert
> Curtius: "Topoi are set pieces (cliches), models of thought and
> expression" that derive from literary or folk traditions.
>
>> Once the frame is instantiated (brought into action) the whole complex
>> system of notions associated with that frame become "active" in the
>> discourse.
>
> This sounds like what literary critics would call making an allusion,
> activating a topos and all its associations in the mind of the reader.
> I realize discourse analysis and literary criticism are different
> fields, but they both deal with texts, levels of meaning, and
> communication theory. Am I on the right track here?

Warren,

Yes you are on the right track. A topos sounds like it would be a subset of
the more abstract cognitive concept of a frame. A frame need not have
anything to do with literature. If someone walks up to me in Seahurst Park
and says "Fine Day," and I respond "the barometer is dropping." Barometer
does not need to be introduction into the discourse as a new item since the
statement "Fine Day" has activated the frame Weather.

Jd 4

PAREISEDUSAN GAR TINES ANQRWPOI
OI PALAI PROGEGRAMMENOI EIS TOUTO TO KRIMA
ASEBEIS THN TOU QEOU HMWN CARIN METATIQENTES EIS ASELGEIAN
KAI TON MONON DESPOTHN QEON KAI
KURION HMWN IHSOUN CRISTON ARNOUMENOI

In Jude we see frames within frames.

Jd 4
PAREISEDUSAN GAR TINES ANQRWPOI
OI PALAI PROGEGRAMMENOI EIS TOUTO TO KRIMA

KRIMA is a frame which stays active through out the middle portion of the
letter. KRIMA is introduced in verse 4 as if it were "old information" with
a demonstrative pronoun TOUTO. This raises the question, why is KRIMA
referenced as if the frame was already active? Perhaps the answer to this is
that TOUTO is not anaphoric here but is performing a presentational
function.

Once the KRIMA frame is active then Jude cites examples (Exodus, Sodom,
Angels). Each example takes advantage of the KRIMA frame being active. Jude
does not need to waste a lot of words explaining these three examples in
5-7. They all function cognitively within the KRIMA frame which contains a
complex structure of shared information necessary to make sense of the
examples.

Within the KRIMA frame, each example (Exodus, Sodom, Angels) points to an
information structure including literary and historical information which
can be thought of as shared "stories." These stories function as frames
within the KRIMA frame. The activation of the Exodus, Sodom, Angels frames
allows Jude to abbreviate his allusions. Without the Frames these references
would be extremely cryptic.

Keep in mind that I am just sort of muddling through here with some wild
stabs in the dark so to speak. BTW, I don't think Levinsohn actually
discusses Frames, at least I don't remember seeing him use the term.

Thanks for the question.

Greetings,

Clay

--