[b-greek] Hebrews 3:11

From: DEXROLL@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 22:02:35 EST

3.11 hWS WMOSA EN TH ORGH MOU:
        EI EISELEUSONTAI EIS THN KATAVPAUSIVN MOU.
    In doing some work on Hebrews I came across this use of the conditional
as a sort of negative oath. Now, I can understand the basic meaning here as
" if they shall enter my rest (or will they enter my rest ?) . No -- they
will not ! ( understood apodosis)." This phrase of course is repeated
several times ( 4:3and 5).

    In 3:18 we have TISIN DE WMOSEN MH EISELEUSESQAI EIS THN
KATAPAUSIN AUTOU EI MH TOIS APEIQHSASIN… Now this phrase seems to be
from Numbers 14:23, although it is not the same as the Septuagint.

    The first phrase is an exact quote from the Septuagint in Psalm 95:11,
which duplicates the Hebrew. All of this brings a number of questions:

1. Is the conditional as negative oath common in Greek or a Hebraism?

Robertson (p.1024) says that it is "...an imitation of the Hebrew idiom,
though not un-Greek in itself."

2. The phrase in 3:18 makes a simple negative statement, so what is the
difference between the two?

You have a simple conditional with the future indicative in one and a simple
negation with the future infinitive in the second.

There are obviously more questions, but let's start with these two.

David Rollins - dexroll@aol.com

    "A Christian is one who recognizes Jesus as the Christ, the Son of the
Living God, as God manifested in the flesh, loving us and dying for our
redemption; and who is so affected by a sense of the love of this incarnate
God as to be constrained to make the will of Christ the rule of his
obedience, and the glory of Christ the great end for which he lives."

Charles Hodge in John Piper’s, A Godward Life