[b-greek] Re: Lk 18:13; TWi hAMARTWLWi

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 07:47:39 EST

At 6:37 AM -0500 12/1/01, Harry W. Jones wrote:
>Dear Carlton,
>
>If I may be so bold to ask.
>
>Why couldn't the relative clause TO PERI POLLWN EKCUNNOMENON, be in
>apposition to TO hAIMA in Matthew 26:28 rather than attributive to it?

No one would accuse you of not being bold, Harry. But. of TO PERI POLLWN
EKCUNNONMENON is a substantive in its own right (as it must be to be in
"apposition" to TO hAIMA, then the meaning attached to it would have to be
something like "what is being poured out for many" or "the thing which is
being poured out for many." I think it had better be understood as
attributive.