[b-greek] Re: EF' hWi in Rom 5.12

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 07:40:22 EST

At 9:20 PM -0600 12/2/01, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>Greetings all:
>
>I'd like some input on EF' hWi in Rom 5.12. What is the antecedent of
>hWi? It is tagged as neuter in Accordance, but can be masculine. If
>neuter, it cannot have a single substantive as its antecedent. Any ideas?
>=============

Steven, I think that here the hWi doesn't have an antecedent in what
precedes but is rather a fairly common elliptical expression with
antecedent pressed into the relative (or relative attracted into the case
of the implicit antecedent demonstrative): EF' hWi = EPI TOUTWi hWI =
"because of this: that" or "because"; I think this EF' hWi has come to be
an adverbial conjunction in its own right, much like hOTI its wide-ranging
usage as a conjunction derivative ultimately from a relative pronoun.

Other instances:
2 Cor 5:4 KAI GAR hOI ONTES EN TWi SKHNEI STENAZOMEN BAROUMENOI, EF' hWi OU
QELOMEN EKDUSASQAI ALL' EPENDUSASQAI, hINA KATAPOQHi TO QNHTON hUPO THS
ZWHS.

Phil 3:12 OUC hOTI HDH ELABON H HDH TETELEIWMAI, DIWKW DE EI KAI KATALABW,
EF' hWi KAI KATELHMFQHN hUPO CRISTOU [IHSOU].

Phil 4:10 ECARHN DE EN KURIWi MEGALWS hOTI HDH POTE ANEQALETE TO hUPER EMOU
FRONEIN, EF' hWi KAI EFRONEITE, HKAIREISQE DE.