[b-greek] Re: Virus

From: Paul Schmehl (p.l.schmehl@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 20:51:55 EST

A small group of antivirus professionals have collaborated on building an
antivirus site for the non-professionals. It is called ACV (short for the
newsgroup alt.comp.virus, which is where we all met), and its URL is
http://www.claymania.com/nav-map.html. Along with reviews of antivirus and
other security products, we also provide instructions and utilities to help
you clean your machines after an infection.

http://www.claymania.com/nav-map.html#Removal

You can find a Badtrans.a and Badtrans.b cleaner there as well.

http://www.claymania.com/badtrans-removal.html
http://www.claymania.com/badtrans-b-removal.html

These utilities are free of charge, and we offer them as a service to the
longsuffering public, who bear the brunt of these malicious attacks. I can
vouch for both the efficacy and the cleanliness of these utilities and for
the instructions that accompany them.

BTW, there is yet another bad virus on the loose today. W32/Goner.a@MM just
broke out this morning and is growing at a faster pace than anything I have
ever seen before. The advice about not opening attachments is excellent as
is the advice about keeping your antivirus software up to date, but more
than that, you should make sure your computer is fully patched, if you're
using Windows, because many of the "modern" viruses attack weaknesses in the
operating system or application, such as Outlook Express.

Paul Schmehl pauls@utdallas.edu
p.l.schmehl@worldnet.att.net
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/