[b-greek] Re: Baptizo

From: Jonathan Burke (jburke@sprint.com.au)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 09:52:47 EST

Hi Michael,

BAPTIZEIN EN uDATI

to baptize in water

or

to baptize with water

Thanks, that's pretty clear, and that's what I thought.

BAPTIZEIN EIS oNOMA

Is a different kind of problem. EIS oNOMA is found in the papyri and may be
either a Greek or a Semitic idiom. From its use in Matthew 10:41, one may
conclude that it mreans "by the authority of." However, it may also
represent the cultic usage of leshem suggesting that baptism brings a person
into a position where he is ruled by.

Excellent. That's pretty clear also, and that's also what I thought. I
didn't know about 'leshem' though. Are you allowed to tell me more about
that on this forum?

Many thanks,
Jonathan.