[b-greek] Luke 18.11 et al. (PROSEUXOMAI + PROS)

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 17:41:15 EST

While working on some web pages I was making a popup reference for one of the
pages regarding this verse. As I was doing this I had a rather perverse
thought. What does this really mean? Normally we have understood it to mean
that the Pharasee was standing BY HIMSELF praying. I wonder if it might be
understood to mean that he was praying TO HIMSELF.

11 hO FARISAIOW STAQEIW PROS hEAYTON TAUTA PROSHUXETO, "hO QEOS EYXRISTW SOI
hOTI OYK EIMI hWSPER hOI LOIPOI TWN ANQRWPWN, hRPAGES, ADIKOI, MOIXOI, H KAI
hWS hOUTOS hO TELWNHS."

In support of this possibility, I give you Gen 20.17

17 PROSHUCATO DE ABRAAM PROS TON QEON, KAI IASATO hO QEOS TON ABIMELEX KAI
THN GUNAIKA AUTOU KAI TAS PAIDISKAS AUTOU, KAI ETKON,

So, what do you think? Is this a reasonable interpretation?

gfsomsel