[b-greek] Re: 2 Cor 12:7

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 13:33:18 EST

At 7:32 AM +0100 12/14/01, Iver Larsen wrote:
>FEIDOMAI DE MH TIS EIS EME LOGISHTAI hUPER hO BLEPEI ME H AKOUEI EX EMOU
>KAI THi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN (DIO) hINA MH hUPERAIRWMAI EDOQH MOI
>SKOLOY THi SARKI
>
>What is the function of the dative THi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN?
>Does the dative phrase belong to the previous sentence or the following?
>
>DIO is missing from a few manuscripts, p46, D, etc, but I assume it was
>original because of the better ms support for its inclusion and its
>awkwardness.

As a "silent grammarian (without portfolio)" I just want to say, after
reading the exchange between Iver and Clay thus far, that for my part I
would really prefer to take THi hUPERBOLHi TWN APOKALUYEWN with what
precedes it and then punctuate after it with a period or raised dot. It
seems to me that the phrase adds a particular reason for someone esteeming
Paul too highly. To me it seems intolerable that the phrase should construe
with a purpose clause introduced by a hINA that follows it, and if the DIO
is retained, I think it makes more sense as introducing a new sequence,
"And for that reason, so that ..." But perhaps this is too traditional a
view of the passage for anyone who's looking for something more far-out.

Department of Classics/Washington University (Emeritus)
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu