[b-greek] hOUTWS in 1Enoch

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 02:03:57 EST

Quote from: THE GREEK TEXT OF BOOK OF ENOCH*
1 Enoch. Codex Panopolitanus
R.H. CHARLES CLARENDON PRESS, 1912

4:1
PWS TA FULLA CLWRA EN AUTOIS SKEPONTA
 TA DENDRA KAI PAS O KARPOS AUTWN
EIS TIMHN KAI DOXAN, DIONHQHTE
KAI GNWTE PERI PANTWN TWN ERGWN AUTOU,
 NOHSATE OTI QEOS ZWN EPOIHSEN AUTA OUTWS,
KAI ZH EIS PANTAS TOUS AIWNAS.
4:2
KAI TA ERGA AUTOU PANTA OSA EPOIHSEN,
EIS TOUS AIWNAS
APO ENIAUTOU EIS ENIAUTON GINOMENA PANTA OUTWS,
KAI PANTA OSA APOTELOUSIN AUTOW TA ERGA,
KAI OUK ALLOIOUNTAI AUTWN TA ERGA,
ALL WSPEREI KATA EPITAGHN TA PANTA GINETAI.

This is a question for the Classics people.
What do you think of the use of hOUTWS in:

OTI QEOS ZWN EPOIHSEN AUTA OUTWS
or
APO ENIAUTOU EIS ENIAUTON GINOMENA PANTA OUTWS

Two things caught my eye about hOUTWS in this text. The clause final
position and being used as second object of EPOIHSEN and GINOMENA. This
expression sounded a lot like the first chapter of Genesis (Gen 1:6 LXX).
This use of hOUTWS is well attested in both the LXX and the NT.

My question:
Would we find this in Greek texts which had no connection with Semitic
language and culture? BDF(#434) and N. Turner (Syntax p226) say it isn't
"good" classical. My question is do we find this use of hOUTWS it in
classical authors at all?

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*R.H. Charles' Greek text of Enoch can be found at

http://www.dabar.org/RHCharles/Pseudepigrapha/Apoc-Pseud-Main.html