[b-greek] Re: ENESTERNISMENOI HTE in 1 Clem 2.1

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 18:50:04 EST

<x-flowed>
On Monday, December 31, 2001, at 07:56 AM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>> 1 Clem 2.1: KAI PROSECONTES TOUS LOGOUS AUTOU EPIMELWS ENESTERNISMENOI
>> HTE TOIS SPLAGCNOIS.
>>
>> My question concerns ENESTERNISMENOI HTE. My sense is that it is a
>> periphrastic construction. If so, it would be equivalent to a finite
>> pluperfect. My only hesitation is based on the word order. It seems to
>> me that the common construction is verb followed by participle,
>> though I
>> found some exceptions in the NT (Matt. 22.8; John 1.24; Acts 1.17;
>> 20.13). BAGD also seems to take this as a periphrastic construction.
>> Can
>> anyone think of any other options? When taken this way, the sentence
>> seems somewhat awkward, though not by any means unintelligible.
>
> I see that nobody has tackled this question as yet, and perhaps a
> comment
> at this point is pointless, but I was intrigued when I first saw it. My
> reference works are all back in NC and unavailable to me at the moment;
> I've only been able to find the verb (ENSTERNIZW/OMAI?) in the Perseus
> LSJ
> as a gloss in Hesychius for PERIPTUSSW/OMAI), something, I assume, like
> "take to heart." I don't think that the position of the auxiliary verb
> relative to the participle is really fixed, but if anything, I think
> it's
> more common for the auxiliary to FOLLOW the participle as it does here.

Carl:

Thanks very much for your responses to my questions. The Accordance
Instant Details window has "to store within" as the gloss for
ENSTERNIZOMAI.

My recollection from reading the GNT was that the periphrastic
participle followed the verb. This is one of the reasons the
construction seemed odd to me. Dana-Mantey (p. 231) do not deal with the
structure, though all their examples have the participle following the
verb. Brooks-Winbery (pp. 144f.) treat this phenomenon under the
category "predicative participle," which includes both participles that
function as predicate adjectives and those that are part of a
periphrastic conjugation. They seem to indicate that the participle
follows the linking verb (p. 144), although their second example of a
periphrastic participle (example 5) has the verb following the
participle (p. 145). According to Wallace (p.647), the participle
"usually" follows the verb, although in a footnote he refers to Boyer
("Participles," p. 172) as stating there are 28 instances in the NT
where the participle precedes the verb. So it would seem, at least in
the NT, that the usual pattern is verb-participle. But those 28
"exceptions" do show that it is not really anomalous to find the
participle preceding the verb.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI