[b-greek] Re: Mark 6:22

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 03:53:23 EST

Dear Carl and Richard,

> MK 6:22 -- EISELQOUSHS THS QUGATROS AUTHS [AUTOU] hHRWiDIADOS KAI
> ORCHSAMENHS HRESEN TWi hHRWiDHi...

From my position as a translator I have been following your little
discussion with interest. As far as the Greek text is concerned I would go
along with AUTHS as an intensifier that governs hHRWiDIADOS. On the other
hand, the semantic subject and head noun of the genitive noun phrase is
QUGATROS. So, the spotlight is on the daughter who is performing the dance,
but the significant thing about her is that she is not just any girl, but
the very daughter of Herodias. Because of this, I can see that both elements
in "Herodias' daughter" are significant. Grammatically, I agree with Carl
that it is hHRWiDIADOS that receives the primary stress or intensification,
but semantically I would go along a bit with Richard and say that the
daughter receives secondary stress by way of its function as the semantic
agent in the proposition.

In Danish I have now changed from "Herodias' egen datter" (Herodias' own
daughter) to "selveste Herodias' datter". The word "selveste" is a
superlative of "self" - literally selfest - that has no equivalent in
English. In English this would become the same as Carl suggested: "the
daughter of Herodias herself". What does the pronoun herself in English
refer back to? Is it to Herodias or to the daughter within the unit
"daughter of Herodias? What if the phrase had been the "son of Herodias
himself/herself"? If you choose himself, I assume primary stress is on son,
but if you choose herself, I assume primary stress is on Herodias. This last
option seems to be what we have in the Greek AUTHS hHRWiDIADOS.

Thanks,
Iver Larsen