[b-greek] Re: ESV

From: George Athas (gathas@hotkey.net.au)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 23:19:52 EST

I will take Ted's lead and recommend to others on the list the new translation of the Bible (Old
and New Testaments) known as the English Standard Version (ESV). It stands in the tradition of the
RSV, and is a very good choice for those wanting a Bible that leans more towards the literal side
than the contemporary English side. I recommend it not just for personal use, but more for use by
scholars and students. It aims to preserve ambiguities where they are present in the original
languages -- it does not make the decision for the reader. This makes it a valuable addition to
anyone's Bible cache, especially for those with no or little knowledge of Hebrew and Greek.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)