[b-greek] Re: Ruth 2:1 KAI THi NWEMIN ANHR GNWRIMOS TWi ANDRI AUTHS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 12:21:14 EST

At 12:07 PM -0500 1/7/02, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 10:26 AM 1/7/2002 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>>What's odd in Greek but fairly
>>standard in Hebrew is the double possessive reference of THi NWEMIN and
>>AUTHS.
>
>This is extremely helpful. I was trying to establish two relationships, one
>between NWEMIN and the ANHR (THi NWEMIN ANHR), and another between NWEMIN
>and her husband (GNWRIMOS TWi ANDRI AUTHS).
>
>If I understand you correctly, no direct relationship between NWEMIN and
>the ANHR is stated or implied, except that her husband knew him, right? For
>instance, this is *not* saying something along the lines of, "and there was
>a man whose relationship to Naomi was that she was an acquaintance of her
>husband", it is just saying, "and there was a man was an acquaintance of
>Naomi's husband"?
>
>In the Ruth 2:1 text, Naomi seems to be emphasized in this first clause,
>with the emphasis shifting to the man in the second clause (hO DE ANHR...).
>I can't think quite how to express that either in English or by modifying
>your more conventional Greek phrasing of this, though ;->

Well, I don't really know enough about Hebrew narrative (and I think this
is not so much a matter of Greek style as of Hebrew narrative style which
is here almost slavishly imitated in the LXX), but I think you're
right--that the story is told from the perspective of Naomi. I'd almost, if
I were free to do with the verse as I pleased, be inclined to English it
as: "And as Naomi saw things, there was a guy of some importance whom her
husband's people knew very well ..." The story of Ruth is a remarkable
enough one, and this isn't the place to discuss it for its own sake, but
the very least that can be said for her is that she is portrayed in this
little booklet as a very gutsy gal with a resourceful mind, one who was
pretty street-wise as a woman in "a man's world."