[b-greek] re: How much daily reading? a bigger question, 2

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 14:00:07 EST

on 1/7/02 1:58 PM, jerker karlsson wrote:

> But I have doubts concerning your method . . .

Randall,

I have some of the same doubts. I don't think that your modified ESL
methodology is felicitous if the goal of instruction is to produce competent
exegetes.

I appreciate the need for students to be exposed to a broad range of Greek
texts. However, there is an inverse relationship between the volume of the
reading and the quality of the analysis. If your goal is to have the student
learn how to perform analysis of ancient texts in something approximating a
professional manner then the high volume is going to work against that goal.

I think your notion of fluency is more appropriate to modern language
instruction. Learning to talk German to Berliners in 2002 is a completely
different kind of goal than learning to read and understand ancient texts.

How many Semitic philologists sit around chatting in Akkadian over lunch?
Why should they?

greetings,

Clay

--