[b-greek] Re: 1st John 4:13

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@merr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 23:40:35 EST

<x-flowed>
On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 09:43 PM, waldo slusher wrote:

> In 1st John 4:13,
>
> EN TOUTWi GINWSKOMEN hOTI EN AUTWi MENOMEN KAI AUTOS
> EN hHMIN hOTI EK TOU PNEUMATOS AUTOU DEDWKEN hHMIN
>

> Is the prepositional phrase EK TOU PNEUMATOS AUTOU the
> direct object of DEDWKEN or is DEDWKEN being used as
> an intransitive verb?
>
> If the EK had been omitted, I think it would have
> seemed right to me. (He gave to us his Spirit.)

Hi Waldo:

  I think it would be incorrect to label a prepositional phrase as a
direct object. In my reading of the GNT I have very often noted
transitive verbs having an unstated, though implied, direct object. This
seems to be especially frequent with DIDWMI. I think this is the case
here, since DEDWKEN is transitive and has an indirect object (hHMIN).
But what direct object should be inferred? It's hard to say, but I think
something like METRON seems likely, and John 3.34 may give us some
justification for that idea. There, speaking of one of the things the
Father has given the Son (cf. v. 35, hO PATHR AGAPAi TON hUION KAI PANTA
DEDWKEN EN THi CEIRI AUTOU)), the Evangelist says, OU GAR EK METROU
DIDWSIN TO PNEUMA ("for he gives [him] the Spirit without measure"). For
this reason (GAR) it can be said that the Son TA hRHMATA TOU QEOU LALEI.
It seems John sees the Son as a special case of one who has been given
the Spirit without measure (METROU), so I don't think it is a leap to
supply METRON (or something similar) in 1 John 4:13. Then we would have
something like, hOTI [METRON] EK TOU PNEUMATOS AUTOU DEDWKEN hHMIN
("because he has given us a measure of his Spirit").

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI