[b-greek] RE: AUTOS/AUTOU

From: Vincent M. Setterholm (Vincents@minn.net)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 19:43:52 EST

I don't have Young's so I can't see exactly what you are looking at, but I
can give you a partial answer:

AUTOU is the genitive form of AUTOS, that is, they are the same word. AUTOS
is the form the word takes in the lexicon, since this is the nominative form
(the form most commonly used to signal that the noun is the subject),
whereas AUTOU is the genitive form. Prepositions (like EPI) do not
typically (never?) take words in the Nominative as their object.

The AUTOU in Matthew 19:9 is functioning as a possessive pronoun (translated
'his', modifying GUNAIKA, 'woman/wife'); it is not part of the prepositional
phrase.

The object of EPI is the dative PORNEIA. There are several options for EPI
+ Dative, but the most likely one in this context is 'on the basis of'
(Bauer cites this verse under that definition as well).

Cheers,
Vincent Setterholm