[b-greek] RE: John 20:28

From: Ken Smith (kens@180solutions.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 14:45:32 EST

I expect what they probably mean is that it isn't in the vocative case,
i.e., isn't a case of address. Doing my best to leave theological
presuppositions aside, I would probably understand hO KURIOS MOU KAI hO
QEOS MOU as a somewhat elliptical way of saying, [SU EI] hO KURIOS MOU
KAI hO QEOS MOU, in which case we would expect the nominative rather
than the vocative case. (A parallel confession, in the form of a
complete sentence, is found, of course, in Matt. 16:16 -- SU EI hO
CRISTOS, hO HUIOS TOU QEOU TOU ZWNTOS.) If Thomas' confession were
addressed to the Father, it strikes me as awful close to swearing, and I
have a hard time imagining John closing his Gospel that way -- but with
that observation, I'm moving away from grammar on a particularly
dangerous verse to do so, so I'll close there.

Ken Smith