[b-greek] Re: KAI LEGWN--epexegetical KAI?

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 01:16:22 EST

on 1/27/02 7:31 PM, Mark DelCogliano wrote:

> The phrase KAI LEGWN appears in 9 NT passages: Mt 3:2, Mt 8:6, Mt 17:15, Mt
> 26:39, Mk 1:15, Mk 1:40, Jn 7:28, Acts 1:3 and Acts 16:9, all of which
> introduce direct discourse except Acts 1:3.

Mark,

Why are you restricting your database to the singular form?

What about KAI LEGONTES? Matt. 9:27 Matt. 19:3 Matt. 21:15 Matt. 27:40 Mark
15:29 Luke 2:13 Luke 4:41 Luke 23:37 Acts 14:15 2Pet. 3:4

> In other words, is KAI LEGWN a sort a marker for the *content* of the KHPUSSWN
> or the PARAKALWN?

Lets just look at the Matt/Mk examples:

Matt. 9:27 Kai paragonti ekeiqen tw Ihsou hkolouqhsan [autw] duo tufloi
krazontes kai legontes: elehson hmas, uios Dauid.

This (Matt. 9:27) fits the pattern, KRAZONTES KAI LEGONTES.

---

Matt. 19:3 Kai proshlqon autw Farisaioi peirazontes auton kai legontes: ei
exestin anqrwpw apolusai thn gunaika autou kata pasan aitian;

Here the pattern is broken, PEIRAZONTES may imply speech in this context but
it is not a speech word and therefore KAI LEGONTES provides us some new
information, it doesn't just mark the content of PEIRAZONTES.

---

Matt. 21:15 idontes de oi arciereis kai oi grammateis ta qaumasia a epoihsen
kai tous paidas tous krazontas en tw ierw kai legontas: wsanna tw uiw Dauid,
hganakthsan

This fits the pattern. Similar to Matt. 9:27.

---
Matt. 27:39-40 Oi de paraporeuomenoi eblasfhmoun auton kinountes tas kefalas
autwn kai legontes: o kataluwn ton naon kai en trisin hmerais oikodomwn,
swson seauton, ei uios ei tou qeou, [kai] katabhqi apo tou staurou.

Mark 15:29 Kai oi paraporeuomenoi eblasfhmoun auton kinountes tas kefalas
autwn kai legontes: oua o kataluwn ton naon kai oikodomwn en trisin hmerais,

These are tough to call. I suppose you could argue that EBLASFHMOUN being a
verb of speech comes first and KAI LEGONTES marks the content. However,
EBLASFHMOUN is a finite verb and might be construed as being in a clause of
its own.

Any, your question is somewhat complex. I will think about it some more.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew