[b-greek] Re: 1 Tim 2:7

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 17:26:11 EST

on 1/28/02 10:48 AM, Iver Larsen wrote:

> I have a question about the relationship between a noun and a prepositional
> phrase with EN in
> 1 Tim 2:7 EIS hO ETEQHN EGW KHRUX KAI APOSTOLOS, ALHQEIAN LEGW OU YEUDOMAI,
> DIDASKALOS EQNWN EN PISTEI KAI ALHQEIAi
>
> Does the EN PISTEI KAI ALHQEIAi phrase refer to
> 1) the content of the teaching, so that Paul is teaching the faith/doctrine
> and truth (or the true faith/doctrine)
> 2) the manner in which Paul is the herald, apostle and teacher, that is
> characterized by faith(fulness) and truth(fulness). In this case it would be
> the teacher and his message that are trustworthy
>
> Any comments?
>
> Iver Larsen

Iver,

What about a third option. EN PISTEI KAI ALHQEIAi functioning adverbially
and limiting the actions implied in KHRUX, LEGW and DIDASKALOS. Not
specifically saying that Paul as a person is reliable, he just said that
ALHQEIAN LEGW OU YEUDOMAI, but making the general claim tha his speaking,
teaching, preaching is defined by EN PISTEI KAI ALHQEIAi.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew