[b-greek] Re: 1 Tim 2:7

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 20:59:00 EST

on 1/28/02 2:26 PM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

>> I have a question about the relationship between a noun and a prepositional
>> phrase with EN in
>> 1 Tim 2:7 EIS hO ETEQHN EGW KHRUX KAI APOSTOLOS, ALHQEIAN LEGW OU YEUDOMAI,
>> DIDASKALOS EQNWN EN PISTEI KAI ALHQEIAi
>>
>> Does the EN PISTEI KAI ALHQEIAi phrase refer to
>> 1) the content of the teaching, so that Paul is teaching the faith/doctrine
>> and truth (or the true faith/doctrine)
>> 2) the manner in which Paul is the herald, apostle and teacher, that is
>> characterized by faith(fulness) and truth(fulness). In this case it would be
>> the teacher and his message that are trustworthy
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Iver Larsen
>
> Iver,
>
> What about a third option. EN PISTEI KAI ALHQEIAi functioning adverbially
> and limiting the actions implied in KHRUX, LEGW and DIDASKALOS. Not
> specifically saying that Paul as a person is reliable, he just said that
> ALHQEIAN LEGW OU YEUDOMAI, but making the general claim tha his speaking,
> teaching, preaching is defined by EN PISTEI KAI ALHQEIAi.

Iver,

After a brisk walk and some fresh air I now see no real difference between
my proposal and your second option. Amazing what some winter sunlight and
the view of the Sound and all the fresh snow on the Olympic Mts. can do to
clear your thinking.

Anyway, I cast my vote for your second option.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point