[b-greek] Re: rough breathing

From: Byron & Linetta Knutson (byronk@open.org)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 14:06:09 EST

My "INTRODUCTORY NEW TESTAMENT GREEK METHOD" by Harper & Weidner makes this
comment about "Breathings."

4. An "initial" P (rho) is generally written with the rough breathing. When
P (rho) is doubled, in the middle of a word, the first P (rho) has the
smooth breathing, and the second the rough.

He gives as an example AR-RhHTOS "unspeakable".

(page 390, under Orthography. Copyright 1888 Charles Scribner's Sons, &
copyright 1916 Ella D. Harper)

A.T. Robertson also has a note worth reading on this double rho breathing
mark on page 225 (e) in his big grammar.

Byron Knutson