[b-greek] Re: 1 Thess 5:10

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 16:54:33 EST

> Dear Iver,
>
> GRHGOREW is used 5:6, 10 to be "watchful, alert, spiritually
> awake." KAQEUDW in 5:6, 7 & 10 is
> used of being "dull, spiritually asleep" which is in contrast to
> GRHGOREW. This is especially
> true of verse 10 where EITE...EITE refers to both, implying that
> they will be with the Lord.
> This is interesting when 4:13-15 uses KOIMAOMAI for those
> believers who bodies have died
> physically, but are spiritually with the Lord. I do not know if
> one can make too much of a
> difference between KAQEUDW and KOIMAOMAI, but the context seems
> to indicate that there is a
> distinction being made, if only for this context.
>
> En Xpistw,
>
> Rev. Bryant J. Williams III

It looks like you support option 2 which is supported by some commentaries,
although a minority. I think option 2 is ruled out, because it would mean a
contradiction between v. 6 and v. 10. V. 6 urges the believers to be
watchful, spiritually awake, and not be spiritually asleep. In v. 10 it
looks like it doesn't matter. Whether they are awake or sleeping, they will
in any case come to live together with the Lord.

If you do not see any difference between KAQEUDW and KOIMAOMAI nor between
GRHGOREW and ZAW, then option 3) would be a possibility. This would in
effect be a restatement or repeated summary of 4:13-15. This view has
serious lexical and discourse linguistic problems.

I am not yet convinced that these terms are equivalent. I know most people
(including the lexicons I have looked at) suggest that they are equivalent
in this particular place.

Each option has some problems, so it is not an easy choice.

There may be a fourth option which is a compromise between all three.
GRHGOREW might refer to being spiritually watchful (2) as well as physically
alive (1) at the time of the PAROUSIA, and KAQEUDW to sleeping in the grave
(3) after having being spiritually watchful until death.

Sincerely,
Iver Larsen