[b-greek] Re: EN EFESW

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 16:52:03 EST

In a message dated 2/2/02 2:11:26 PM, justinrogers35@hotmail.com writes:

>B-Greek members, My friend is doing a term paper over Ephesisans being
>circular letter. The UBS GNT supports this by giving "EV EFESW" a C
>reading. Could you assist him in offering some scholarly sources for this
>
>supposition?
> Thanks, Justin Note:
we need a full name here.

This points up the dificulty of the use of brackets in the early editions of
the UBS GNT. I do not have the latest edition at home but the 1st. It is
difficult to tell whether the omission is given the C rating (in which case
it would support the circular theory) or the presence of EN EFESWi is given
the C rating (seems so in the footnote). In either case the omission
supported by P46, Aleph, and B was seen as very weighty by the UBS committee
(check how many readings they chose because of this group of witnesses).
When combined with the internal consideration of why a scribe would have
removed it if it were original then I am surprized that they did not omit it
completely. If it were not in it is easy to see why someone from Ephesus
would have included it. Some disagree but I think the text reads quite
smoothly without it.

TOIS hAGIOIS TOIS OUSIN KAI PISTOIS EN CRISTOU IHSOU. "to the saints who are
also faithful in Christ Jesus" It is only speculation that there might have
been a blank left in the original text. I have seen no evidence for such a
practice in antiquity. Consideration has to be given to the popular theory of
non-Pauline authorship. There are some significant non-Pauline
characteristics in Ephesians, but that is for another list.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College