[b-greek] Re: b-greek digest: February 04, 2002

From: D. Charles Pyle (dcpyle@linkline.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 00:59:00 EST

> Subject: Newbie
> From: "Keith Saare" <Talmid512@cs.com>
> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:43:59 -0500
>
> I'm doing advanced studies in Greek from Howard Payne University in Texas
> and beginning Hebrew from the Moody Bible Institute. Learning the biblical
> languages is my passion. I aspire to one day be a professor in both Greek
> and Hebrew. I look forward to learning all that I can from this website.

Great! You are in for a life of heartache and grief. :-) I say that because
of the horrendous drop-out rate in many Hebrew classes. Make it interesting,
keep up students' interest, and help them understand a tongue very different
than anything they are used to, and the number of drop-outs will be much
lower. Also, when I was out that way sojourning in the land of Moody Bible
Institute (1990 in Chicago and not as a student, mind you) I noted that many
of the students could not think for themselves and allowed themselves to be
lulled into believing much of the theology that is often forced onto the OT
text. I trust that such has not happened to yourself

The same could be said for those who learned Koine of the Greek New
Testament as well. It is important to think for oneself and study as much of
the relevant literature as is possible. Never let theology get in the way,
if at all possible, and your work will be more fruitful. Although difficult
(and perhaps virtually impossible at some junctures), try to let the texts
"speak" to you as much as possible for themselves and let theology develop
on its own (of course, this list is not for discussions of theology but the
meaning of the text, etc).

Never let a professor tell you that a word means thus and so and only that.
Do not fall for the root fallacy and do not teach others to do so. Check all
things out and know that a good professor will encourage investigation and
discussion among the students. Divergent paths are inevitable thereby, but
necessary. Every once in a while I pop in. Had I more time, I would
probably contribute more. At any rate, welcome to the list. This list is a
rich resource of divergent views upon the texts of the Greek New Testament
from which one can learn much. God speed.
D. Charles Pyle
GINWSKETE GAR THN CARIN TOU KURIOU hHMWN
IHSOU CRISTOU, hOTI DI' hUMAS EPTWCEUSEN,
PLOUSIOS WN, hINA hUMEIS TH(i) EKEINOU
PTWCEIA(i), PLOUTHSHTE. (PROS KORINQIOUS B 8.9)