[b-greek] Re: Read or Study?

From: Ken Smith (kens@180solutions.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 02:46:12 EST

I can very much sympathize with your difficulties and frustrations, Chuck. I've spent much more time trying to develop my Greek reading skills than my French, and I can reach nearly any French text much faster and with significantly greater comprehension than any Greek text, the NT included.

One thing that I've found helpful is actually listening, in real time, to the Greek New Testament. You can start with individual chapters from Matthew as they're posted to:

http://www.greeklatinaudio.com/index.html

Or you can get pretty much the entire NT (with an Erasmian pronunciation) from:

http://audiogreek.0catch.com/ or
http://www.ccel.org/a/anonymous/gnt/home.html

But if you're wanting to really develop your listening skills, and have much driving to do, I highly recommend Zodhiates' Modern Greek reading of the entire NT, on cassette tape, available at:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product/60685187?item_no=9574017&event=SRC

And of course, if you want a fairly close approximation of "original" Koine pronunciation, Randall Buth's course materials, designed for moving past the "language monitor" style of reading Greek at which you and I both appear to be stuck. are available for order at:

http://www.biblicalulpan.org

I haven't yet ordered them myself, but they're one of the next few purchases on my list.

Ken Smith