[b-greek] Matthew 19:28

From: Hans Radax (cecitor@etapa.com.ec)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 18:19:41 EST

Dear listmembers,

I was studying Matthew 19:28, right after Peter had asked: "Behold, we have
forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?" (Matthew
19:27).

"And Jesus said to them, Verily I say to you, that ye who have followed me
in the regeneration, when the Son of man shall sit on the throne of his
glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones" (Matthew 19:28).

Regeneration is the Greek palingenesia, literally the New Birth.

The problem is how to place "EN TH PALINGENESIA" : "in the regeneration".

Most translators try and make this look like a time clause, where they have
this refer to the "restitution of all things". NKJV translates then as
follows:

"In the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory,
you who have followed Me ..."

The Greek "en" can indeed mean "in"; but also "through", much like in the
French expression: "en forgeant on devient forgeron (while doing one
learns)". I suppose, it can have an almost same meaning in Greek.

I believe that from a linguistic point of view, translating "EN TI
PALINGENESIA" leaves several options. If you see it as a time clause, then
you get something entirely different from when you interpret "EN" to have a
function of instrumentality.

The latter translation is what I propose. But I am not confident enough, and
I thought I ask the opinion of experts.

So, there are those two options:

1. "In the New Birth, those who have followed me," (temporal clause)

and

2. "Those who have followed me in [attaining] the New Birth." (instrumental)

The questions is, whether there is only one valid option, and if so, which
one, or if both options are valid, whether there is a way to say: This one
or that one has a higher probability for being the correct translation. May
the context be helpful? Are there other possibilities for translating this
verse?

Thank you in advance,

Hans Radax

Cuenca - Ecuador