[b-greek] Re: Matthew 19:28

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 22:19:31 EST

In a message dated 2/5/2002 9:46:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
admin@asarian-host.net writes:

>The reason I ask, is because the one other instance of palingenesia, in
>Titus 3:5, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according
>to His Mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration [palingenesia]
>and renewing of the Holy Spirit," really seems to point to being born again.

I wouldn't assume that a word necessarily is used in the same way by every
writer. A word can be used in different ways even by one author. I think
more to the point in the current passage is Mt. 20.20 ff. where the request
is made for James and John

hINA KAQISWSIN hOUTOI hOI DUO hUIOI MOU hEIS EK DECIWN SOU KAI hEIS EC
EUWNUMWN SOU EN THi BASILEIAi SOU.

These seem to be joined together by the catchword KAQHMAI. In chapter 19 it
is the disciples who are promised to sit with Jesus. In chapter 20 James'
and John's mother asks that they be given places of prominence.

gfsomsel