[b-greek] Re: The threads on "proper" Greek pronunciation

From: B. D. Colt (babc2@attbi.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 17:58:09 EST

On 6 Feb 02, at 13:49, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> I am now a little bit more skeptical than I used to be about the
> importance of observing those distinctions between vowels and
> diphthongs in the classroom--but only a little bit. I rather
> suspect that good students can learn Biblical or Attic Greek well
> under a good teacher no matter which of the conventional
> pronunciations is chosen and taught by that teacher.

But if I may speak as a student (and a reasonably bright one in spite of
my relatively advanced age), I find it very helpful to have a clear
distinction in pronunciation between the various letters. It helps to aid
memory and avoid confusion.

Barbara D. Colt, mailto:babc2@attbi.com
St John the Evangelist, San Francisco