[b-greek] EGW EIMI in John 8:58, 9:9

From: Solomon Landers (awohili@aol.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 08:10:24 EST

Well, let's see if this works, since I am one of those with the problem of
posting to B-Greek using AOL 6.0 (though I have sent for the disk for
7.0).

A question: At John 8:58 we read: EIPEN AUTOIS IHSOUS AMHN AMHN LEGW
hUMIN PRIN ABRAAM GENESQAI EGW EIMI.

A few verses later, at John 9:9 we read: ALLOI ELEGON hOTI hOUTOS ESTIN
ALLOI ELEGON OUCI ALLA hOMOIOS AUTWi ESTIN EKEINOS ELEGEN hOTI EGW EIMI.

So, though the contexts are different, does EGW EIMI mean the same thing
in each instance, and should it be translated in the same way?

Solomon Landers

[Moderator's note: Let's keep discussion focused on what the Greek
text may legitimately mean and steer clear of theology,
please! --cwc]