[b-greek] Re: greek to me

From: Glenn Blank (glennblank@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 16:55:19 EST

>| But I would personally suggest h'OLA' (wholly, completely, all) in the
place
>| of PA~SA (all, whole, every)
>|
>| hH KAINH` DIAQH'KH: h'OLA' MOI hELLHNKH' ESTIN.

"George Athas" <gathas@hotkey.net.au> answered (Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:51:32
+1100)

>Wouldn't it have to be:
>hH KAINH` DIAQH'KH: h'OLA' MOI hELLHNKA' ESTIN.
>
>The reference 'Greek' would have to be neuter plural.

Why neuter plural? Wouldn't hELLANKA' be made feminine singular to agree
with DIAQH'KH?

Also, I am wondering if
  hH KAINH` DIAQH'KH: h'OLA' hELLHNKH' ESTIN MOI
                         or
  hH KAINH` DIAQH'KH: ESTIN MOI h'OLA' hELLHNKA'

would be preferable? Two reasons: 1) h'OLA' should modify hELLHNKA' rather
than MOI ("wholly Greek" rather than "wholly to me"), and 2) "Greek" is
the punch line, so should be at a position of prominence in the clause
rather than in the middle of the clause.

Finally, since the English phrase down plays the copula ("It's all Greek to
me" rather than "It is all Greek to me"), I wonder if it should be made a
verbless clause (explicit pronominal subject):

    hH KAINH` DIAQH'KH: h'OLA' hELLHNKA' MOI hH

glenn blank
Pensacola