[b-greek] re: The threads on "proper" Greek pronunciation

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 15:26:53 EST

TW Carl
CAIREIN

Thank you for the clarification on goals. The distinctions are
appreciated.

>Finally, I do think we need to be clear about what I take to be two
>very distinct theses being argued here: (1) what good evidence
>indicates about the actual pronunciation of Greek in the eastern
>Mediterranean during the period of the composition of the GNT
>(which I'd guess spans the period of roughly 50-150 CE); and (2)
>what is the most useful system of pronunciation of Biblical Greek
>in a modern classroom setting?

Part of the background to (1) [good evidence], for me, has been
acquaintance of texts themselves. Like Gemellus and Soumaios.
I am actually hoping to hear some b-greek listers say,

"Hey, that was a fun text. Where can I get more?"

I was thinking that those texts might be "new information" for many on
list. One of the things we do in our first year class here is have
students read a few tragi-comic papyri letters from the Loeb
Select Papyri collection. Partly for the style, partly for the cultural
content, partly for the 1st hand language encounter, and partly for
entertainment.

ERRWSO

Randall Buth, PhD
Director, Biblical Language Center