[b-greek] JOHN 10:17-18 and the active take or passive receive

From: Edward Otte (edotte@optonline.net)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 06:12:58 EST

I have a question concerning the active or passive duality of a verb use
in many places in the Bible. I am refering to the verb that can be
transliterated "take" or "receive." The verb appears in John 10:17-18
where I have seen it transliterated both ways in several translations. To
be sure, the difference between an active take to a passive receive does
change the meaning of at least this verse. Is there some rule or
grammatical understanding to how to transliterate? Is it just by context
and thus more subjective?

Thanks.

INA PALIN LABW AUTHN OUDEIS HREN AUTHN AP EMOU ALL EWO TINQHMI AUTHN AP
EMAUTOU EZOUSIAN EXW QEINAI AUTHN KAI EZOUSIAN EXW PALIN LABEIN AUTHN

Edward Otte