[b-greek] 1En 23:5 EKDIWKW/RDP

From: Penner (pennerkm@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 11:10:58 EST

According to the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon (http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/)
in 1 Enoch, the Aramaic RDP is only certainly attested once: in 4Q206 4
iii 14 "the wolves who were PURSUING the flock". The Aramaic RDP is used
in Targum N. Dt 1:44; Lev 26:17; Gen 14:15; Dt 28:22; 30:7; Ex 14:4;
15:21; Gen 35:5; Dt 19:6. All instances are military pursuit.

The only Aramaic word translated EKDIWKW in the Greek Bible is +RD (Dan
[Th] 4:22, 29, 30), when the king is driven out.

Milik says on page 219, "In fact, E)KDIW/KWN does not have the positive
[sic] meaning of persecution, but simply of pursuit, as when a shepherd
follows his flock. The corresponding Aramaic verb is RDP, which has
precisely this meaning 'to follow the flock, to watch over it, to let it
graze' in Safaitic." Although Aramaic RDP could have the simple meaning
"follow", LSJ does not support reading EKDIWKW in this neutral sense
(all references are to persecution and banishment), and "tend" is not
one of the glosses for RDP in the CAL. Tending flocks is always R(Y in
Aramaic, according to CAL.

So I would agree that the retroversion RDP is improbable, and RDP, +RD,
and EKDIWKW are all negative. Yet this negative sense is out of place in
this context, so I am at a loss.

BTW, the LXX[A] has EKDIWKW for the Hebrew RDP also in 1Ki 30:10.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Regent College), M.A. (McMaster)
Ph.D. Student, Religious Studies,
Biblical Field (Early Judaism major)
McMaster University
Hamilton, Canada