[b-greek] Re: AFIHMI/AFAIREW (was AFIHMI and APAIRW)

From: Kevin Cauley (cauley@airmail.net)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 21:13:55 EST

I would think that the circumstances in which one would want to translate
AFAIREW "forgive" would be in a spiritual context such as this. Under the
Old Law such as in Leviticus 4:20, we have "and the priests shall make an
atonement for them, and it shall be forgiven them." What better way to
express to those who were leaving Christianity for Judaism than to say that
the blood of bulls and goats could not FORGIVE sin? Hence my question, in
this context, what would the connotative difference be between AFIHMI and
AFAIREW? Why use AFAIREW as opposed to AFIHMI? Does AFAIREW carry with it
some quality (such as "objectivality" or something) that AFIHMI does not?