[b-greek] Re: Genitive chain in 1 John 1:1

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 18:50:30 EST

<x-flowed>
Bret:

You wrote:
----
>I have been studying 1 John 1:1 and have a question about the phrase PERI
>TOU LOGOU THS ZWHS. In particular am I interested in the relationship of
>THS ZWHS to TOU LOGOU. It seems that it could be understood as
>epexegetical ("concerning the word which is life") or adjectivally
>("concerning the living word") or objectivally ("concerning the word about
>life").
-----

Epexigetical use would be possible, but unlikely. Adjectivally
is not an option base on verse 2 (see below).

The last one is really the only option of those you
have listed. Verse 2 limits the subject of verse 1
to life, not word.

I think John's use of LOGOS elsewhere would suggest the
translation "message." LOGOS, used of the personified Word,
is not a frequent use of John's, whereas LOGOS as "message"
is used with high frequency (by John).

I would suggest something like:

"concerning the message of Life." I have capitalized Life
only because John personifies life here, a reference to Christ.

My thoughts,

Mark Wilson