[b-greek] Re: Text Criticism

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 10:52:48 EST

In a message dated 2/16/02 5:48:10 AM, scjt624@aol.com writes:

>Hello,
> I'm in my second year of Greek and we are beginning to look through
>textual criticism. I find it very interesting and was wondering what are
>some good resources. Especially charts/reference work laying out all the
>manuscripts, dates, types (Alexandrian, Western...), and the like. I
>would appreciate any input.
>
>Shane [Cass]

Shane, you really ought to start with Bruce M. Metzger, The Text of the NT,
Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration. This will give basic
discussions of the resources, history, and methods of TC. It has lists of the
resources with discussion of their text types, etc. You should also have a
copy and read and master the introduction of Nestle-Aland, Novum Testamentum
Graece. It contains a list of manuscripts that indicates content, date, and
locations. If you learn to do TC with the N.-A.27, then using the UBS GNT
will be easy.

Carlton L. Winbery
Louisiana College