[b-greek] Re: Greek Grammars and AGAPH

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 21:29:04 EST

At 10:10 PM -0500 2/15/02, Kjvonly16@aol.com wrote:
>Hello,
> I am new to this list, so bear with me. I am currenlty studying Koine
>Greek on my own (I am currently a Senior in a Christian High School). I was
>wondering if any of you could give me some "tid-bits" as concernig the some
>Greek Grammars and Lexicons. I have Mounce's first Grammar, and also a
>Graded Reader. I was close to buying Machien's grammar but decided not too
>(though I may in the near future). I also have a Greek concordance of the
>New Testament, and also Zodiahates Interlinear English/Greek New Testament
>(which uses the H KAINH DIAQHKH). Anyway, I will be entering College next
>year Lord willing and would appreciate some help in the study of Koine.
> Also, on a more relevant level, do you beleive that AGAPH and
>FILEW are two majorly different words. I have read some on both sides:
>some say no
>(Gipp) and others say yes. I personally do think there is quite a
>difference, but I think some people do take it to the extreme.
>
>in Christ,
>Jonathan B. Ferguson

Jonathan, the question you are asking is one that you are likely to return
to again and again as you get deeper into your study of the Greek of the
New Testament. You may very well find that you will, as others have before
you, changed your mind about the difference between AGAPH/AGAPAW and
FILIA/FILEW in general and in particular passages. I've picked out from our
archives the following dates of significant threads on just this subject,
most frequently on whether there is an intended difference between the two
verbs in the dialogue between Jesus and Peter in John 21:

B-GREEK Discussions of AGAPAW/FILEW

11/11-13/95 Re: John 21:15-17
6/18-6/25/96 Re: Synonyms in John 21 etc.
2/13-2/19/97 Various subject-headers
8/12-8/16/97 Philadelphia vs. agape
4/17-4/20/98 Re: Jn 21:15-17
3/19-3/23/00 Re: A question from a novice; Re: AAPAW/AGAPH
12/10-/00 Re: AGAPAW and FILEW
1/1-1/20/01 Various subject-headers
2/13-2/15 Various subject-headers
10/15-10/18/01 Various subject-headers

On the question in general, I will say only that there is no consensus on
the question; there may be a majority who think that the verbs and nouns
overlap in denotation and connotation to such an extent that it is
impossible to demonstrate conclusively that they represent wholly different
notions; yet there is a considerable minority convinced that there is a
real difference. You're welcome to consult our archives and read over the
recurrent re-formulations of arguments on this matter that we've had over
and over again on B-Greek.