[b-greek] RE: Origins of LEGW

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 04:43:47 EST

> He mentioned something about how the Lego company got it's name from this.
> thought Lego got its name from "Leg Godt" in Dutch meaning "play well",
> and it was coincidental that the latin word lego means "I put together."

The Lego company is Danish, not Dutch. (Many Americans mix up those two, so
you are forgiven.) Apart from that, it is correct that "Leg godt" in Danish
does mean "play well". I phoned the Lego company just to be sure, and they
confirmed that the origin of the logo is "Leg godt" and has nothing to do
with Latin Lego nor Greek LEGW.

This is not particularly relevant for b-greek. Just a piece of background.

Iver Larsen
Denmark