[b-greek] RE: 1 Tim. 6:15, 16: God or Christ?

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 07:05:43 EST

> First, these two verses cohere to verse 14 which precedes them. The hHN at
> the beginning of your quote surely is anaphoric with the event, EPIFANEIAS
> TOU KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU, of v. 14.

Hi, Wayne,

I would agree that the feminine relative hHN connects back to the word
EPIFANEIA which is modified by an genitive (who will appear) and a genitive
apposition (name of he who will appear). This relative is one of those
interesting Greek continuative relatives where the relative picks up a topic
from the previous context and tells us more about it (in this case: who is
going to make him appear and when). This use of the relative is not found in
English, and therefore often overlooked or not clearly understood. A literal
translation with an English relative hinders rather than helps.
When EPIFANEIA is the topic for and object in the following sentence, it
seems most likely that the subject in that sentence is God. The titles used
of that subject points strongly to the Almighty God as the referent,
especially when we think of Jewish tradition not to mention the name of God
directly.

Iver Larsen