[b-greek] Romans 2:27

From: Daniel Streett (danstreett@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 23:06:31 EST

Hello,

Rom 2:27
KAI KRINEI hH EK FUSEWS AKROBUSTIA TON NOMON
TELOUSA SE TON DIA GRAMMATOS KAI PERITOMHS
PARABATHN NOMOU.

Many of the translations I have consulted render
DIA as if it has a concessive sense. Thus, "you
are a transgressor EVEN THOUGH you have the
written code and circumcision." See, e.g. the
NIV.

It seems reasonable to me that Paul would be
telling his dialogue partner that he transgresses
the law THROUGH the written code and circumcision
[i.e. by focusing on the written code and
circumcision].

I suppose my questions are 1) does DIA + genitive
ever have a concessive force and 2) what is the
best way to render DIA in this instance?

Cordially,

Daniel Streett
New Haven, Connecticut