[b-greek] Putting B-Greek transcription scheme into a Greek font

From: Jim Bewick (ratherchilly@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 08:09:57 EST

One of the attractions of the B-Greek transcription
scheme for me is not just its ability to be read in
plain text e-mails, but also its ability to be
searched by simple plain text database software, such
as Treepad. This raises a question.

If I have a simple text file containing a chunk of
transcribed Greek, I can open it in the likes of
Microsoft Word, use "Replace" for the likes of "h" or
"i", highlight what remains and convert it into a
Greek font. What I'm left with is upper case Greek,
no breathings.

Is it possible to do more than this? Is there any
software that would run through the text and put it
into lower case, add breathings, even accents?

In other words, could one use B-Greek transcription in
a database in the knowledge that it could fairly
straightforwardly be rendered into a Greek font for
presentation purposes? Has this been an issue for
anyone else?

Jim Bewick,
Belfast.

http://uk.my.yahoo.com