[b-greek] Re: MORFH

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 19:56:09 EST

In a message dated 2/26/2002 6:56:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,=20
jburke@sprint.com.au writes:

>It has been suggested to me that the final sense here ('kind,
>sort'), encompasses the meaning 'essential nature'.
>Having examined the citations in the reference here, I could
>not see that any of them referred to 'essential nature'.

>Everything I can find tells me that the word refers to external
>appearance, to form, fashion, or shape.

>What am I missing here?
_________________________________

Louw & Nida have

58.2 MORPH, HS f: the nature or character of something, with emphasis upon=20
both the internal and external form=E2=80=94=E2=80=98nature, character.=E2=
=80=99 hOS EN MORFHi QEOU=20
hUPARXWN =E2=80=98he always had the very nature of God=E2=80=99 Php 2.6; MOR=
PHN DOULOU LABWN=20
=E2=80=98he took on the nature of a servant=E2=80=99 Php 2.7. In view of the=
 lack of a=20
closely corresponding lexical item such as =E2=80=98nature,=E2=80=99 it may=20=
be necessary to=20
restructure the form of Php 2.7 as =E2=80=98he became truly a servant.=E2=
=80=99

Louw, J. P. (1996, c1989). Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament :=20
Based on semantic domains (LN 58.2). New York: United Bible societies.

Personally, however, I tend to disagree. I think that whatever the view one=
=20
has regarding the EKENWSEN of v. 7 in the passage cited there seems to be a=20
distinction between the form or appearance and TO ONTWS WN.

[ SOKRATHS: DHLON hOTIH PAS AN THN GE NUN LEGOMENHN GNOIH: THN GAR PERI TO=
=20
ON KAI TO ONTWS KAI TO KATA TAUTON AEI PEFUKOS PANTWS EGWGE OIMAI hHGEISQAI=20
SUMPANTAS hOSOIS NOU KAI SMIKRON PROSHRTHTAI MAKRWi ALHQESTATHN EINAI GNWSIN=
.=20
 SU DE TI? PWS TOUTO, W PRWTARXE, DIAKRINOIS AN? =20

SOCRATES: Clearly anybody can recognize the art I mean; for I am confident=20
that all men who have any intellect whatsoever believe that the knowledge=20
which has to do with being, REALITY, and eternal immutability is the truest=20
kind of knowledge. What do you think, Protarchus? ]
   =20
Plato, Philebus 58a

[ CENOS: ARA TO ALHQINON ONTWS ON LEGWN

STRANGER: And by the true you mean THAT WHICH REALLY IS? ]

Plato, Sophist, 240b

gfsomsel

[MIME formatting deleted]