[b-greek] Re: MORFH

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 20:19:36 EST

At 3:55 PM -0800 2/26/02, Jonathan Burke wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I have had it represented to me that the Greek word MORFH includes
>within its semantic range the meaning of 'essential nature'.
>
>I cannot find this meaning referred to in LSJ 9, nor can I find
>any examples of it in Greek literature.

[deleted entry from LSJ]

>It has been suggested to me that the final sense here ('kind,
>sort'), encompasses the meaning 'essential nature'.
>Having examined the citations in the reference here, I could
>not see that any of them referred to 'essential nature'.
>
>Everything I can find tells me that the word refers to external
>appearance, to form, fashion, or shape.
>
>What am I missing here?

For my part I've always felt that the difference in Phil 2 between the
sense of MORFH in MORFH QEOU and MORFH DOULOU was jarring, especially if
that notion of "essential nature" is being asserted for MORFH.

You might just want to look at the archives for previous discussions of
this--say, around July 96, June 98, October 98, December 99. I don't know
that there's anything conclusive to be found in these discussions but the
questions have certainly been aired. And it's easier to do such a search
now with Jonathan's new and improved archives (which we may soon be able to
stretch back to 1991).