[b-greek] Re: MORFH

From: Jeff Young (youngman@triad.rr.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 21:09:35 EST

A question to Carl first. I was curious as to what you meant by "jarring,"
in the phrase below? It's no big deal, I just can't figure out whether it
was
meant in a positive or negative light. Or perhaps that's an illustration of
the
very problem we have here! :-)

I am not nearly the scholar that many are on the list, but it seems to me
that
context is the most reliable source to determine meaning. In that light, the
phrase MORFH DOULOU would inform our understanding of MORFH QEOU,
since we have a significant amount of information revealed in the New
Testament regarding Jesus' as a DOULOU. In that light, the Louw definition
of "nature or character of something," doesn't seem too far off base, since
my study of His life indicates that He did take on the essential nature of a
servant (of course, what do we mean by "essential nature?" :-) ).
(I could say more, but don't want to press this into a broader theological
discussion).

On another note (and this may seem transparent to many), I have often found
that Lexicons will derive their definitions based on context - hence, the
lexicographer's personal understanding/interpretation of the passage in
question will impact his/her definition of the word (this seems especially
true
in instances where NT usage is slim).

Jeff Young