[b-greek] RE: PRO-PROTEROS-PRWTOS (was Romans 2:9)

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 08:54:29 EST

Dear Iver,
very good job!
you win.

> > In this analysis, adverbial PRWTON modifies adverbial EPI YUCHN
> > IOUDIAOU. I like it because it makes sense and has a minimum amount of
> > "deep structure" analysis.
> >
> > Moon
> > Moon R. Jung
>
> An adverb can hardly modify a prepositional noun phrase. The term
> "adverbial" as a syntactical wastebasket is not particularly helpful.

We are right. Adverb "very" can modify adverb "fast" as in
"he ran very fast". But adverb "first" can hardly modify
the recipient "to the Jews". It should modify the whole predication.
So, a good translation of Rom 1.16 may be:

The gospel is the power of God for salvation
to all who believe -- first to the Jews and also to the Gentiles.
What is omitted from the second clause is: The gospel is
the power of God for salvation.