[b-greek] Re: Matthew 28:19,20

From: Kevin Cauley (cauley@airmail.net)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 14:28:58 EST

So, following the analogy, the house would not be complete until both the
foundation and the roof were complete? I.E. the time of the participles,
"laying" and "constructing" is concurrent with the time of the main verb,
"build." The process of building a house involves at least 1) laying the
foundation and 2) constructing the roof, and there is a definite order in
that, but can the time of the main verb be complete it its thought without
the completion (whatever order that is) of the two participles?

So, getting back to the Greek. If there is no order to the participles,
could one say that the main verb, MAQHTEUSATE is completed prior to the
completion of the participles? Or, must we say that MAQHTEUSATE cannot be
completed until both BAPTIZONTES and DIDASKONTES are completed? Asked
another way, if the participles take their time from the lead verb, then can
the participles be accomplished outside of the activity in the lead verb?

Kevin Cauley