[b-greek] Re: Acts 2:38b and THN DOREAN hAGIOU PNEUMATOS

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 02:08:32 EST

on 3/3/02 8:32 PM, Kevin Cauley wrote:

> In Acts 2:38 we have . . . .
>
> PETROS DE EFH PROS AUTOUS METANOHSATE KAI BAPTISQHTW EKASTOS hUMWN EPI TW
> ONOMATI IHSOU XRISTOU EIS AFESIN AMARTIWN KAI LHYESQE THN DOREAN TOU hAGIOU
> PNEUMATOS
>
> Here is my question: Must the second part of this verse, KAI LHYESQE THN
> DOREAN TOU hAGIOU PNEUMATOS be grammatically equal (in its relationship to
> the verbs METANOHSATE and BAPTISQHTW) with the prepositional phrase EIS
> AFESIN AMARTIWN. I.E. if one gets AFESIN AMARTIWN does it necessarily
> follow from the grammar that one must get THN DOREAN TOU hAGIOU PNEUMATOS as
> well. Or is it possible that these could be two separately obtainable
> things the second being unrelated to the verbs of the first?

Kevin,

The KAI in KAI LHYESQE THN DOREAN TOU hAGIOU PNEUMATOS, can be taken as a
simple additive or as a consecutive. The latter option (KAI consecutivum)
would suggest that LHYESQE . . . is in some sense a consequence of what
precedes. BDF (#442.2) states that the consecutive KAI "is especially
frequent after imperatives . . . ." C.K. Barrett (Acts ICC, v.1 pp. 154-5)
suggests that the notion of consequence is found here but he cautions
against taking the imperative BAPTISQHTW as a conditional imperative.

If we go with the KAI consecutivum it might be best to see it as linked with
both METANOHSATE KAI BAPTISQHTW. Is there a conditional sense intended here?
Barrett doesn't think so but others like R. Pesch do. I am not sure how you
can accept the KAI consecutivum without having it reflect some vague sense
of conditionality back on the preceeding impertive(s). But it is late, I may
just be to tired after my walk on the beach to see how Barrett sorts this
out.

Perhaps someone else can pick up on this one.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point