[b-greek] Re: Matthew 28:19,20

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 03:53:57 EST

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> I want to add one little suggestion; in my opinion a sequential reading of
> the aorist + present tense forms would more likely be signalled by an
> aorist participle and present infinitives: MAQHTEUSANTES BAPTIZETE ... KAI
> DIDASKETE--but that notion of "making disciples" as a prior condition to
> baptizing and teaching is not what I think the text indicates. I would
> understand the sequence we're actually offered as (1) go forth
> and (2) turn
> all nations into disciples (aor: get it done, however long it takes), (3)
> baptizing and teaching (in the process of turning them into disciples).
>
> --
>
> Carl W. Conrad

Carl,

I agree with your analysis. It is essentially a description of the way I
read this text. The main problem I had with much of the previous discussion
was the attempt to use syntactical arguments to establish a linear
sequential order among the constituents MAQHTEUSANTES BAPTIZETE ... KAI
DIDASKETE.

Thanks for your reply. It clarified things for me.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew