[b-greek] Re: Mat 26:75 and Mat 27:8

From: Mark DelCogliano (cassian@dellepro.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 16:57:29 EST

Dear Barbara,

The second question is easily answered by BDAG s.v. hEWS 1.b.A.

> 2. Mat 27:8
>
> DIO EKLHQH hO AGROS EKEINOS AGROS hAIMATOS
> hEWS THS SHMERON
>
> The information pop-up (in Logos) says that SEMERON is an adverb,
> and so does BAGD. So what's with the article? I note several
> instances cited in BAGD where SEMERON has an article, but I can't
> find anything to explain it. Wallace might well cover it, but I can't
> guess where from the Table of Contents. Maybe someone with a
> paper copy can refer me?

hEWS can be used as a preposition with the genitive. In the construction
hEWS THS SHMERON, there is a hHMERAS understood. There is an ellipse of the
noun and all that remains is the feminine genitive article. hHMERA is
commonly subject to ellipse, e.g. MECRI THS SHMERON.

Mark DelCogliano